Monday, April 27, 2009

Updates...

It has been awhile!! We have been crazy busy lately... but here is a rough synopsis!!!

Addie has been sick with various bugs since the end of March. She has been to the pediatrician three different times. The first was the end of March for running a temp, and she was pulling at her ears. They diagnosed her with a virus. The second was about 2 weeks ago, when she was throwing up repeatedly. And then diagnosed her with a stomach virus. And then finally last week we went in because of a nasty cough. This time they said that she probably has some springtime allergies, and put her on children's claritin -- an antihistamine. And she has been doing GREAT! The cough is slowly getting better, and she is FINALLY getting rid of all that nasty mucus.

My grandma was in the hospital this last weekend. She had gone for a walk, and had gotten dizzy (it was like 90 degrees out, and she was wearing a sweater). So she sat down on her walker, and then had to sit down on the ground, and got sick to her stomach. Luckily some teenagers walked by, and were able to call 911 and stayed with her until the paramedics arrived. They took her to Boone Hospital, and ran some tests. Her blood sugar was elevated, and she was in atrial fibrillation. They increased her cardiac medication, but it would drop her blood pressure, and she would get even more dizzy!!! So they kept her for 2 more days to try and get that regulated. The doctor is trying to talk her into getting a pacemaker, but she is understandably nervous about having surgery at her age (92!). She is planning a big trip out to California to meet her soon-to-be newest great-grandbaby, and see her other great-grandchildren, grandchildren, and her son and daughter in law. This will be in June, and she is not willing to even think of having surgery before then :) But she is back at home and feeling much better, but still very weak.

It is my last week working exclusively for the respiratory department doing EKG's, and I couldn't be happier. It was very interesting to learn about EKG's and have the experiences that I did, but I miss my hours on L&D!! I do not do very well having to work evenings, let alone every day. And I miss my coworkers on L&D -- it was very interesting to see how every department has a very different "vibe" -- how they treat each other and the patients. The majority of the work I do is in the emergency room, and it has taught me that I would NEVER be a very good emergency room nurse. They have to be unbelievable multitaskers, and they do not have the time to be the type of nurse I love being. There is no time for chit-chat or empathy or compassion when someone is having a heart attack!!! They do their jobs very well, and I'm sure they save a lot of lives, but in order to accomplish that they are forced to remove the caring from nursing. So needless to say... I will be thrilled to return to my home department!

I am finishing up my last pre-requisite class for the nursing program... microbiology. And LOVING it! But then agian, I think I would love anything after suffering through Chemistry. After this quarter (ends in June) I am on the waiting list (which is usually 3-6 months). Then it is a year of school and I am finally done!

Corey and I are starting to discuss moving when I'm done with school. I cannot wait!! Neither one of us want to raise Addie in Lincoln -- it's just too big. No idea where we'll head to yet, that's up to God and wherever Corey can finally find a job that he wants.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Poor Addie...I understand the seasonal allergies misery. Glad she's doing better. My docs always said I just had sinus infections (which I guess I did) but finally a doc realized I must have allergies if I got multiple sinus infections every spring. :) And sounds like things are going well with your career/schooling. Yay!

Anonymous said...

I think that you guys should move somewhere between columbia and St. Louis. FREE ZOO and FREE SCIENCE MUSEUM. COME ON! And two aunts who would love to babysit for FREE! Ok, I can only vouch for one aunt, but I'm guessing Jen feels the same way. I miss you, Becky! I want you back!!!