We had a lot of fun yesterday night! Corey and I had some "adult time" while Addie was left to fend for herself with Grandma & Grandpa! Ha ha -- I'm sure they spoiled her ROTTEN!!!
My older sister Jennifer had gotten us tickets to go see Brad Paisley when he was here in Omaha, Nebraska. So we were HAPPY to make the trip to Omaha to see him! We didn't know it at the time (we heard it on the radio on the way there) that this was the last stop of their tour, and there was going to be "suprise guests".... you'll have to wait and see who showed up!
The opening act was Darius Rucker -- who is the former lead singer for Hootie & the Blowfish, and has an AMAZING voice, and what is sure to be an amazing career switch to country music!
He sang some songs from his current (country) album, which we really enjoyed. This is him singing "It won't be like this for long" which is one of Corey & I's favorite songs (maybe because the lyrics remind us of a little girl...)
He didnt have to wake up He'd been up all niteLay'n there in bed listen'nTo his new born baby cryHe makes a pot of coffeeHe splashes water on his faceHis wife gives him a kiss and saysIt gonna be OKIt wont be like this for longOne day soon we'll look back laugh'nAt the week we brought her homeThis phase is gonna fly bySo baby just hold onIt wont be like this for longFour years later bout four thirtyShe's crawling in there bedAnd when he drops her off at preschoolShe's clinging to his legThe teacher peels her off of himHe says what can I doShe says now dont you worryThis will only last a week or twoIt wont be like this for longOne day soon we'll drop her offAnd she wont even know your goneThis phase is gonna fly byIf you can just hold onIt wont be like this for longOne day soon she'll be a teenagerAnd at times you'll think she hates him Then he'll walk her down the isleAnd he'll raise her valeBut right now she up and cry'nAnd the truth is that he dont mindAs he kisses her good nightAnd she says her prayersHe lays down there beside herTill her eyes are finally closedAnd just watch'n her it breaks his heartCause he already knowsIt wont be like this for longOne day soon that little girl is gonna be All grown up and goneYeah this phase is gonna fly byHe's try'n to hold onIt wont be like this for longIt wont be like this for long
He played a few more songs from his new cd, and then he came out on stage by himself and played "Let her cry" by Hootie and the Blowfish -- and it was so neat!
She sits alone by a lamppost trying to find a thought that's escaped her mind She says Dad's the one I love the most his time's not far behind She never lets me in only tells me where's she's been when she's had too much to drink I say that I don't care I just run my hands through her dark hair then I pray to God you gotta help me fly away And just Let her cry, if the tears fall down like rain Let her sing, if it eases all her pain Let her go, let her walk right out on me And if the sun comes up tomorrow Let her be, let her be. This morning I woke up alone found a note standing by the phone saying baby, maybe I'll be back some day I wanted to look for you You walked in I didn't know just what I should do so I sat back down and had a beer and felt sorry for myself. Saying... Let her cry, if the tears fall down like rain Let her sing, if it eases all her pain Let her go, let her walk right out on me And if the sun comes up tomorrow Let her be, ahhhh Last night I tried to leave cried so much I could not believe she was the same girl I fell in love with long ago She went in the back to get high I sat down on my couch and cried yelling oh mama please help me won't you hold my hand. And... Let her cry, if the tears fall down like rain Let her sing, if it eases all her pain Let her go, let her walk right out on me And if the sun comes up tomorrow Let her be Let her cry, if the tears fall down like rain Let her sing, if it eases all her pain Let her go, let her walk right out on me And if the sun comes up tomorrow Let her be..ohhh...let her be
He closed with Hank Williams "Family Tradition" which was hilarious to see him sing!
Country music singers have always been a real close family, but lately some of my kin folks have disowned a few others and me. I guess its because I kinda changed my direction, I guess I went and broke the family tradition. They get on me, wanna know Hank why do you drink? (Hank) why do you roll smoke? Why must you live out the songs that you wrote? Over and over everybody made my prediction. So if I get stoned I'm just carryin' on an old family tradition. I am very proud of my daddys name although his kinda music and mine ain't exactly the same. Stop and think it over, put yourself in my position. If I get stoned and sing all night long it's a family tradition. Don't ask me Hank why do you drink? (Hank) why do you roll smoke? Why must you live out the songs that you wrote? If I'm down in a Honky-Tonk some ol' slicks tryin to give me corrections I'll say leave me alone I'm singin all night long it's a family tradition. Lordy, I have loved some ladies and I have loved Jim Beam and they both tried to kill me in 1973 when that doctor asked me Son how did you get in this condition. I said hey sawbones I'm just carry in on an old family tradition. So don't ask me Hankwhy do you drink? (Hank) why do you roll smoke? Why must you live out the songs you wrote? Stop and think it over. Try and put yourself in my unique position. If I get stoned and sing all night long It's a family tradition!

Then we had to get a picture of the crowd during the intermission between Darius Ruckers and Dierks Bentley. The Quest center can hold 20,000! It wasn't a sold out show, but it sure was full!!!! The Quest center is VERY steep, so there isn't really a bad seat in the place.

Corey used the time to make a beer run :)
And then we got to see Dierk's Bentley!!!

I was really pleasantly suprised that we new basically every song he played. We hadn't really heard of him too much (he is relatively new to the country music scene), but I guess we HAD heard his music!!! Evidently we just didn't know it!
One of the more popular songs he played was "Lot of leavin' left to do"
These old boots still got a lot of groundthey ain’t covered yetThere’s at least another million milesunder these old bus treadsSo if you think I’m gonnna settle downI‘ve got news for youI still got a lot of leavin’ left to doAnd as long as there’s a song Left in this old guitarThis life I’m bound to leadAin’t for the faint of heartSo you won’t fall for meif you know what’s good for you‘cause I still got a lot of leavin’ left to doI guess the Lord made me hard to handleSo lovin’ me might be a long shot gambleSo before you go and turn me onBe sure that you can turn me loose‘cause I still got a lot of leavin’ left to doGirl, you look like you might be an angelSo I won’t lieI could love you like the devilif you wanted me to tonightAnd we could talk about forever for a day or twoBut I still got a lot of leavin’ left to doI guess the Lord made me hard to handleSo lovin’ me might be a long shot gambleSo before you go and turn me onBe sure that you can turn me loose‘cause I still got a lot of leavin’ left to doYeah, I still got a leavin’ left to do

And then it was time for.... Brad Paisley! I did not realize what a PHENOMENAL musician/guitar player he is!!! Corey was telling me that he is arguably one of the best guitar players in the music industry right now. I would believe it -- he was amazing!!! Especially after seeing Darius Rucker (who didn't play an instrument at all, he just sang) and Dierks Bently (who played guitar on the easy songs :) it was neat watching Brad play because he was just BETTER than the guitar players in his band.
It was also interesting to see the set changes between the acts -- they didn't even turn on a third of the lights until it was Brad Paisley's turn. And of course he had a bigger set! I guess it really does pay to be the headliner!

I was able to get some *fuzzy* pictures of him performing. For some reason our camera takes sharper video than pictures???

It was kind of ironic... he played "Waitin' on a woman" -- and my sister who gave us the tickets is chronically late :) So we had a little smile about that!

Probably my favorite song to see him perform was "Alcohol" -- it's just such a fun song, and he had the ENTIRE audience singing along with him, it was crazy!
He also played "When I get where I'm going" -- and had a really neat slideshow going on behind him of all the various celebrties that have passed away (mostly country stars) but he also had like Steve Eriwn, and Dale Ernhart (go figure... in Omaha there were nascar fans!)
And then he played "The World" which has always been one of my faves :)
To the teller down at the bankYou're just another checking accountTo the plumber that came todayYou're just another houseAt the airport ticket counterYou're just another fareAt the beauty shop at the mallWell you're just another head of hairWell that's alright, that's okIf you don't feel important, honeyAll I've got to say is(Chorus:)To the worldYou may be just another girlBut to meBaby, you are the worldTo the waiter at the restaurantYou're just another tipTo the guy at the ice cream shopYou're just another dipWhen you can't get reservations'Cause you don't have the cloutOr you didn't get an invitation'Cause somebody left you outThat's alright, that's okWhen you don't feel important honeyAll I've got to say is(Chorus)You think you're one of millions but you're one in a million to meWhen you wonder if you matter, baby look into my eyesAnd tell me, can't you see you're everything to meThat's alright, that's okWhen you don't feel important honeyAll I've gotta say is(Chorus)

So he's singing along... and gets to "Wiskey Lullabye" which has always been one of Corey's favorite songs because it's a duet with Allison Kraus, who is one of Corey's favorite female musicians. So he sings the first part, and gets to where the part of the song where Allison Kraus starts singing, and here she comes out on stage!!! Corey about peed his pants :)
It was PHENOMINAL!!! She might have actually sounded better live than on the radio. She has such an incredible voice!


And then he closed with one of our favorites of his... Ticks :)
3 comments:
Oh my goodness! That is awesome!!! I'm so glad you guys got to go and have some "adult time"! haha.
Sounds like it was an awesome show! I'm so glad! Thanks for taking the time to post all your photos & do a writeup, I almost feel like I was there!
It's great you guys were able to enjoy some adult time. It's sweet that you guys were thinking of Addie a lot, which I can tell by the comments about the songs. :) Sounds like you guys had a great time!
Post a Comment